The philosophy behind biomimetic dentistry proposes that teeth in their natural form are at their strongest and most successful. To further explore this concept, I recently stumbled upon this Biomimetic Dentistry Video found at http://www.biomimeticdentistryce.com given by Dr. Matthew Nejad. In his video he discusses
- Conserve as much tooth structure as possible
- Preserve tooth vitality and prevent unnecessary root canals
- Restore teeth which would traditionally require extraction
- Increase the bond strength of our restorations by 400%
- Minimize shrinkage stress on the teeth
- Eliminate sensitivity
- Create long-lasting restorations and prevent complications experienced with traditional approaches.
Taken from Dr. Matthew Nejad’s video.
We at Seasons of Smiles Dental follow all these guidelines.
- Tooth Structure is sacred, and we treat it as such.
- We do all we can to ensure that our patients have pain free teeth, all our techniques and materials are chosen to keep nerve tissue healthy. We go to great lengths to prevent root canals.
- We keep teeth at all cost.
- Bond strength is a fascinating topic. As I was looking at the onlays that were done on Dr. Nejad’s website, they are beautiful. Our adhesive of choice for these types of restorations would be RelyX™ Unicem 2 Self-Adhesive Resin Cement. This also easily gives us 400% bonding retention over traditional standard fillings. Through the years 3M has made a lot of great adhesives that not only bond great, but they are comfortable on the patient’s teeth.
- Minimize Teeth shrinkage. The best way of minimizing teeth shrinkage is having the restoration be lab fabricated. The “missing piece” of the tooth that we are adding on is fabricated in the lab using high-temperature ovens and fabricated under high pressure to minimize shrinkage. As with anything of top quality, there is a price to pay, and for a restoration that has minimal shrinkage, this is the best way to go.
- Eliminate sensitivity. Nerve tissue is so delicate, we do all we can to protect it. One of many products that we use, as suggested by Dr. Gordon Christensen DDS, is MicroPrime G. We have other techniques and products that we use to achieve these goals as well.
- We strive to do all we can to provide long-lasting restorations.
If you or a loved one are having problems with some of your teeth, and you love the idea of Biomimetic Dentistry.
Norman Medina DDS, graduated from Loma Linda University Dental School in 1994. He has been practicing dentistry in Midcoast Maine since 1994. He and his wife Lanita have four children.